About the Ziskind Clinical Research Scholar Award
Morton Ziskind, MD
Photo courtesy of
Tulane University Archives
The Ziskind Clinical Research Scholar Award is an ATS Foundation award that honors pulmonary and critical care fellows engaged in clinical research. The award was named after Morton Ziskind, MD, a highly respected clinician-researcher from Tulane University who died in 1979 and was renowned for bringing his fellows to the ATS International Conferences and exposing them to memorable learning experiences. In an effort to honor his inspiring mentoring practices, the ATS Foundation created this award program to recognize the best and the brightest individuals in clinical research and education.
To be considered for the Ziskind Clinical Research Scholar Award, applicants must first be nominated by a faculty mentor, division director, program director or associate program director. After an initial review of nomination letters, highly meritorious applicants will be asked to submit a personal statement as to their interest in being a Ziskind Scholar prior to selection of the winners. The applicant criteria are the following:
- Fellow must be an MD or DO
- Fellow must be currently enrolled in a US or International pulmonary or critical care adult or pediatric fellowship program
- Fellow must have a submitted abstract to ATS 2015 DENVER
- Fellows must be an ATS member or become one when selected as a scholar
How do I nominate a fellow?
The ATS invites faculty mentors, division directors, training program directors and associate training program directors to nominate one outstanding fellow to be considered for this award. The nomination should be submitted in the form of a one-page letter attesting to:
- Why this fellow should be considered an “outstanding clinical research scholar”
- Why this fellow stands out for their clinical research skills
- Why this fellow is a potential leader in clinical research and in the ATS
Please also include the following supporting documents with the nomination letter:
- An abstract submitted to ATS 2015 DENVER by the nominated fellow
- A current CV/resume for nominated fellow
Please send the Nomination Letter and Supporting Documents to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before January 12, 2015. An electronic notification will be sent to you upon submission. Please reference "Ziskind Clinical Research Scholar" in subject line.
- Program announcement in November 2014
- Nomination deadline is January 12, 2015
- Applicants will be notified of the committee selection in February 2014
Questions related to the Ziskind Clinical Research Scholar Award Program can be directed to Lauren Lynch, Director of Educational Products and Programs (email@example.com). Questions related to funding of the Ziskind Clinical Research Scholar Program can be directed to Lydia Neumann, Director, ATS Foundation (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Members of the Morton Ziskind, MD Review Committee:
William Bailey, MD, Chair
Peter Chen, MD
Stephen Crane, PhD
Gerard Criner, MD
James Donohue, MD
Louis Libby, MD
Jennifer McCallister, MD
Charlie Strange, MD
*Program formerly known as Clinical Education and Training
The ATS supports the ATS Foundation’s administrative expenses, assuring that every dollar contributed goes directly to support programs.