Ziskind Clinical Research Scholar Award (formerly Clinical Education and Training)
Morton Ziskind, MD
Photo courtesy of
Tulane University Archives
Morton Ziskind, M.D., was a highly respected clinician-researcher from Tulane University who died in 1979. He was renowned for bringing his fellows to the ATS International Conferences and exposing them to memorable learning experiences. In an effort to honor his inspiring mentoring practices, the ATS Foundation has developed the first annual Ziskind Clinical Research Scholar Award. The goal of this program is to honor the best and the brightest in clinical research and applaud their outstanding work at ATS International Conferences.
The Ziskind Clinical Research Scholar Award will honor pulmonary and critical care fellows engaged in clinical research. The ATS Foundation has convened a worthy group of ATS leaders, chaired by William C. Bailey, M.D., to review nominations and will select up to two fellows for this award in 2014. Selected recipients will be provided with:
- A $500 stipend
- Recognized in the ATS International Conference Final Program, ATS News, ATS Stat and with signage throughout the ATS International Conference in San Diego
- Recognition at the ATS Foundation Research Program Benefit Reception and Donor Appreciation Suite
To be considered for the Ziskind Clinical Scholar Award, applicants must first be nominated by a faculty mentor, Division Director, Program Director or Associate Program Director. After an initial review of nomination letters, highly meritorious applicants will be asked to submit a personal statement prior to selection of the winners. The applicant criteria are the following:
- Fellow must be a M.D. or D.O.
- Fellow must be currently enrolled in a US or International pulmonary or critical care adult and pediatric fellowship program
- Fellow must have a submitted abstract to ATS 2014 * SAN DIEGO
- Fellows must be an ATS member or become one when selected as a scholar
- Note: Only one fellow per program may be considered for the award
How to Nominate a Fellow for the Ziskind Clinical Research Scholar Award?
The ATS invites faculty mentors, Division Directors, Training Program Directors and Associate Training Program Directors to nominate one outstanding fellow to be considered for this award. The nomination should be submitted in the form of a one-page letter attesting to:
- why this fellow should be considered an“outstanding clinical research scholar”
- why this fellow stands out for their clinical research skills
- why this fellow is a potential leader in clinical research and in the ATS
Please also include the following supporting documents with the nomination letter:
- An abstract submitted to ATS 2014 San Diego by the nominated fellow
- A current CV/resume for nominated fellow
Please send the Nomination Letter and Supporting Documents to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Friday, December 20, 2013. An electronic notification will be sent to you upon submission. Please reference "Ziskind Clinical Research Scholar" in subject line.
- Program announcement in October 2013
- Nomination deadline is Friday, December 20, 2013
- Applicants will be notified of the committee selection in February/March 2014
Who do I contact with questions?
Questions related to the Ziskind Clinical Research Scholar Award Program can be directed to Lauren Lynch, Director of Educational Products and Programs (email@example.com). Questions related to funding of the Ziskind Clinical Research Scholar Program can be directed to Lydia Neumann, Director, ATS Foundation (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Erin Marie Nebel, Manager, Foundation Administration (email@example.com)
Members of the Morton Ziskind, MD Review Committee:
William Bailey, MD,Chair
Peter Chen, MD
Stephen Crane, PhD
Gerard Criner, MD
James Donohue, MD
John Heffner, MD
Louis Libby, MD
Jennifer McCallister, MD
Charlie Strange, MD
The ATS supports the ATS Foundation’s administrative expenses, assuring that every dollar contributed goes directly to support programs.