Breathing for Life Award
The Breathing for Life Award is the highest honor conferred by the ATS Foundation for philanthropy. The award is presented to individuals or institutions who:
- Demonstrate consistent philanthropic support for the research agenda of the ATS and the ATS Foundation.
- Encourage/inspire philanthropy from others, such as other ATS members, non-ATS members, and the public-at-large.
- Advocate for the philanthropic support of young investigators in pulmonary, critical care, and sleep medicine.
- Raise awareness of the burden of respiratory disease on patients and their families to the public-at large.
- Individuals/couples and institutions who meet the specified criteria.
- Individuals who are not currently on the boards of the ATS Foundation or the ATS.
- An individual who has been nominated one year will not automatically be carried over for nomination the following year.
- A nominator may nominate one person(s) or one institution per year.
- Nominations may be made by ATS members and individuals otherwise active within the ATS Foundation, the ATS, and the ATS chapters.
- Each nomination must be documented using the attached form and must be signed by the person making the nomination.
- The deadline for the submission of nominations to the ATS Foundation was July 14, 2013.
- The ATS Foundation Trustees will review nominations against award criteria beginning on July 15, 2013.
- Finalists selected for this award will be informed of the honor by August 1, 2013 at the latest. Awardees will be invited to attend the ATS Foundation Research Program Benefit and accept the award on Saturday, May 17, 2014.
The ATS supports the ATS Foundation’s administrative expenses, assuring that every dollar contributed goes directly to support programs.